Monday, February 27, 2012

The Mighty T-28: Video

This is the video component of my T-28 adventure, from back in November last year.

My earlier blog post describes what is going on here, but if you sit back and watch, I hope you enjoy the sights and sounds of this big old warbird. Joe Dickerson takes me for a ride around the start line and final two corners of the SARL Rocket 100 race course, which he was due to fly the next day.

Oh, to keep you from wondering what the inertial reel is, it's the seat harness lock. While you remain strapped in for the whole flight, you can release the inertial reel in order to stretch and move around more easily, but it must be locked for takeoff and landing, so you can't lean forward from the seat.

I ran several cameras in the plane. Two cameras - forward and rear-facing - were sucker-mounted onto the canopy, although I could not mount them until the canopy was closed. I also had a handheld camera for those wing shots, and a little extra external footage from the race day.

I've got to say, I've loved T-28s ever since the first time I saw one over at Duxford, probably ten years ago. They're such excellent aircraft. I am delighted to have had the chance to fly in one!

1 comment:

Rob Edgcumbe said...

Nice stuff Jo. Looked like a lot of fun and the editing works really well too. Cool.